Sunday, 25 April 2010

HOW TO MAKE A SIMPLE FIREPLACE FOR YOUR DOLLHOUSE



One thing that adds character to a dollhouse is a fireplace.

  • Start by taking a piece of firm card and cut it to the size that you want you fireplace to be.
  • Next cut three pieces of Balsa wood. Keep one longer than the other two to be the mantelpiece. Glue them to the card using PVA (white)glue.
  • Once dry paint the Balsa wood the colour you want your mantelpiece to be and paint the visible cardboard black. Next paint a few flames over the black background. Keep the deeper reds/orange on the inside and let the flames become yellow at the edges.
  • Find something to make a grate. Here I've used a hair clip back but you can use tin foil, or any oddment that fits the illusion.
  • A few cut up and dried out twigs make magnificent logs.
  • Before you glue the fireplace to the wall it helps to have a hearth. I have used a few mosaic tiles but you can be creative and many oddments can give the hearth effect such as thick painted card.
  • Glue the fireplace to the wall and find a few beads for vases and ornaments to pop on the top.
  • The candle stick was made from a bead with a cocktail stick pushed through. Chop the bottom off the cocktail stick then paint your "candle". As my bead was thin and tall I glued it to a button on the bas with a glue gun but a wider bead can stand alone. Simple but effective!

Friday, 23 April 2010

Rear View of Folk Art Artist's Studio House

The back of the house changed from this......


To this.
The side balcony was detached when I got it so I left the plastic tower off, fitted acetate to the window and a window sill. This leaves some extra on the base which could become a little garden. I added some extra roof on the house which gives it a nice "Dutch barn" shape to the side view. It ended up a very sweet little house and I was very pleased with my experiment.

Saturday, 17 April 2010

A HOUSE TRANSFORMATION EXPERIMENT

I had so enjoyed experimenting with a folk art dolls house that I decided to have another go but with a much smaller scale than even 24th. I found a "Josie Jump's Balamory House for a couple of pounds on eBay and decided to have some fun with it. I ended up transforming this.........

to this!

I expect that I shall put it back on eBay shortly, although I am enjoying it sitting up on the book shelves at the moment. It's actually a very convenient size compared to the other dollhouses I've restored. In the next post I will put up the pictures of the inside of the house complete with artist's studio on the top floor.

Friday, 16 April 2010

A SIMPLE FRAMING EFFECT


A simple way to make a mirror or picture look like they have a frame is to mount them onto corrugated cardboard. A small mirror tile is a perfect size for a dollhouse. Just stick it with a little PVA glue. This picture was cut out from a birthday card. Pictures always look best with a border surround, so just glue them onto a little piece of white card before you put them on the corrugated card.


Monday, 12 April 2010

TRANSFORM CHEAP PLASTIC FURNITURE

I had a bag of cheap plastic furniture but wanted to give it a country feel. A plastic mauve chair was painted with green acrylic paint. The chair pad and back was just cut out of some flowery cotton then glued and sealed with PVA glue. The dresser was given a cream undercoat and then covered with green acrylic, making sure that some of the undercoat showed through to give it a distressed country feel. A few buttons and small ornaments complete the picture.

Saturday, 10 April 2010

DISTRESSING FURNITURE

It's was simple to create a distressed look using cheap push together furniture. I painted it a rust colour using acrylic paint and then when it was pretty much dry I coated it with a layer of blue paint, making sure that I left some parts uncovered. The check effect, to complete the country look, was done with a little piece of checked paper, stuck then completely covered with PVA glue to protect it. A couple of interesting buttons from my button box made two cute plates. Simple but fun and just right for a cheeky looking bear.

Tuesday, 6 April 2010

IDEAS FOR MATS


Sometimes you just need a little bit of lateral thinking to make mats or rugs for dolls houses. The mat in the bedroom for the elegant lady bear was part of a cross stitched birthday card that had been sent to me. All I needed to do was cut it out and then put a little white PVA glue around the edges to make sure it didn't fray. Fortunately the glue dries clear making a good edge for a rug.
The little bath mat was made using just a little scrap of cotton material folded in two and sealed with PVA glue. It does give it a slightly hard feel when it dries but as a bath mat this is not a problem. I found the flower edging amongst some self adhesive card making edging ribbon. It only uses a tiny bit and stuck on well. The edge of the towel was made from the same ribbon and turned another material scrap into a towel, giving a plastic bath a softer look.

Monday, 29 March 2010

Miniature Show in Birmingham

I enjoyed looking at this article in The Daily Mail online newspaper. I love the "Del Boy" miniature room. HERE

Sunday, 21 March 2010

A FOLK ART DOLL'S HOUSE



I decided it would be fun to turn an average 24th scale dolls house into an unusual "Folk Art" style doll's house. It was really fun doing it and I will be showing you some of the individual projects at a later date. I enjoyed trying out my new glue gun to attach buttons securely to the front to give it a true country primitive feel. SOLD