To make a stone effect fireplace, as seen in the photo, you need to find some pieces of Balsa wood. Balsa Wood is light and easy to cut. I bought a bag of mixed pieces from Hobbycraft.
- Take three pieces that will fit well for two uprights and a mantel.
- Paint three sides of each piece with grey acrylic paint, making sure that your painting contains a few shades of a darker and lighter grey.
- Paint black lines to give the impression of separate stones.
- Glue the pieces onto the wall; two upright and one horizontally.
- If you want to, glue a thin, painted piece of wood onto the wall above the mantel.
- Hammer a few tiny nails into the mantel to hang pots from.
- Glue some tiny mosaic tiles onto the wall behind the fireplace, and maybe on the floor underneath, to give a hearth effect.
- Make or buy a kitchen range to put inside.
- Put tiny dishes, or ornaments onto the mantel, and cut up a few twigs to use as logs.